With inflation and other economic concerns on the horizon, making sure your home is energy efficient is a reliable method of reducing day-to-day costs. One of the best ways to improve energy efficiency is with your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) unit. But how do you know if your HVAC unit is energy efficient? Keep reading to find out.

What Does Energy Efficiency Mean?

When an appliance is energy efficient, it uses as little energy as possible to perform a specific job well. Energy-efficient heating and air conditioning units use less energy while heating and cooling your home effectively. 

Why Is Energy Efficiency Important?

The most significant benefit of having an energy-efficient home is the reduced costs. An energy-efficient HVAC unit costs less than an inefficient unit would to heat and cool your home, which means lower monthly energy bills.

Signs Your HVAC Unit Is Not Energy Efficient

Below, we explain some of the key signs your heating and air conditioning are not energy efficient. 


If your HVAC unit is more than 10 years old, it may not be functioning as effectively as it could be. All HVAC units work less well over time – so the older your unit is, the less efficient it will be. 

Your Energy Bills Are Getting Higher

As mentioned above, one of the most common reasons people want to make their homes’ energy efficient is that it lowers their heating and cooling costs. If you notice that your monthly energy bills are starting to increase, this could be a sign that your HVAC unit is not functioning efficiently and needs to be replaced.

How It Was Installed

If your HVAC unit was not installed properly by a licensed HVAC technician, it could be up to 30% less energy efficient than one that was properly put in. To ensure your HVAC unit is as energy efficient as possible, get it installed and maintained by a professional gas fitter or heating and air conditioning professional.

It Isn’t Working Properly

This is the most straightforward sign to look out for. If you notice issues with your HVAC system or it shows evidence of decline, chances are it is not working efficiently. Take note of issues like unusual humidity or hot or cold spots in your home, and address the problem with an HVAC professional.

It Has A Low SEER or AFUE Rating

There are two types of ratings you should look for with all HVAC units: Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) and Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE).

SEER is used to measure the energy efficiency of your air conditioner. Most air conditioners have a SEER rating between 13 and 22. The higher the SEER rating your AC unit has, the more energy efficient it is.

AFUE uses a percentage to measure the efficiency of furnaces. A strong AFUE rating to aim for is 96%. That means that 96% of your furnace fuel goes towards heating your home while the remaining 4% is consumed by the furnace during the heating process. 

Consider a New HVAC Unit to Improve Energy Efficiency and Save on Costs

Are you concerned that your heating and air conditioning are not energy efficient and are costing you too much money? Contact Canada HVAC.

Our team of HVAC professionals has over 30 years of industry experience and can help you find an energy-efficient HVAC unit that will help you save on energy costs. We will also put you in touch with installation experts to ensure that it works as efficiently as possible.